i’m not trying to set a goal of having alliterative post titles but this one seemed apropos.
i saw a doctor at the midwife and doctor practice on monday and wanted to write about this then. but i was so high on my poop purge that even the pathetic doctor visit wasn’t gonna bring me down. so now i’m ready.
i was required to see an MD by the skinny midwife who thought i needed a “talkin’ to” about not only my weight (i’ve lost 12 pounds, so suck it) but also the risk of having a VBAC. for those of you who don’t care for acronyms and aren’t part of the military and don’t work for the government and aren’t Methodist, that’s Vaginal Birth After Cesarean. i’ll jump through their hoops as long as they let me have a chance at giving my body permission to have a baby the way it was created to have a baby. i’ve read their information sheets. i’ve read our bodies ourselves for pregnancy and birth, i’ve read the thinking woman’s guide to a better birth, i’ve been on the ICAN website, and i’ve even purchased the “business of being born.” i know about uterine rupture, the requirement for a low transverse incision, the need for constant fetal monitoring, the need for a normal a glucose level, and why induction will not be an option.
i also know that having another c-section would risk infection, hemorrhage, injury to other organs, anesthesia complications, prolonged hospitalization, hysterectomy, and maternal death. never mind the fact that i would miss those precious first several minutes with my baby, something that can never be replaced. so why does it annoy me to have to listen to dr. g tell me why I should not have a VBAC? maybe it was all in the delivery.
first of all, i try not to judge people by how they appear. but man, i cannot stand a dude in a bowtie. i didn’t like it on former mayor of dc anthony williams, i don’t like it on tucker carslon, alan greenspan, donald duck, OR winston churchill. dr. g was wearing a bowtie. strike one.
part of this appointment was to discuss the results of the nuchal translucency test i’d had a couple weeks ago. not only did he not have the results but he proceeded to explain in great detail the faults of their new “high tech system” and why the old hand-delivered results system was much more effective. like i care. i just want to know if my baby is at risk for a birth defect. strike two. before i even get to the major reason for my beef with this guy let me just insert this little gem: he was telling me some lame story about his wife and he referred to her as “the mrs.” my God, man, are you for real?!
so the conversation went something like this (and when i say something like this, i mean exactly like this) :
“so, what questions do you have?”
“is it true that i am at less risk for a uterine rupture if my c-section scar was closed up in two layers rather than one? the specialist you had me see last week suggested that that would be the case.”
(laughing) “well dear I’m afraid that dr. ---- may have inserted a little too much of his own opinion into that answer. that’s probably not true so don’t get your hopes up.”
“ok, so can i get the green light on the VBAC from you or not?”
“i just want you to understand the risk. see, if that baby’s heart rate drops during labor we have about 12 minutes to get you into the operating room for a c-section. that’s not a lot of time. you see, the reason why you’re so upset about having had a c-section was the emergency that surrounded your particular situation-“
“no, it’s not. i had a scheduled c-section. i wasn’t in labor.” (I would really love to shove a speculum down your throat right now…)
“ well, in any case, most women like you just feel guilty about having had a c-section and they really want their last birth to be meaningful and deep so they try to have a vaginal birth. you might as well just abandon those earthy feelings…”
first of all I’d like to make a couple of points to the reader:
1. i am earthy. hello, i wear clogs even when I’m not working on my feet, i compost, and make my own baby food!
2. who said anything about last birth?
he continues:
“so if you were 25 and planning on having lots more kids i’d say, great, go for the VBAC because it would make subsequent vaginal births even easier. but you’re 33, and you’ve already got three kids, so, this is probably it, right? i mean, if you ask me if you should have a VBAC, i’m gonna say no. but if you tell me you want to have a VBAC i guess i’ll support you.”
“i’m not asking you.”
and that was that. i wanted to cry but this bastard didn’t deserve my tears. i got up and made my exit. the receptionist making my next appointment said that she had an opening in four weeks with dr. somebody. no, i said, no more doctors. i prefer to see a midwife.
so wish me luck. not since the ranch-dressing-eating, Birkenstock-wearing, realistically chubby midwife have i had a great appointment here. and i’m losing faith.
4 comments:
It sounds like your appointments have been *fantastic*. Hopefully the first midwife will be back soon. I like a woman that is down with some ranch dressing. If only because it makes me feel okay about my unending love for spinach salads with bacon, hard-boiled eggs, and bleu cheese dressing.
Thanks for the comment on the blog. It does feel like a more natural direction and it's nice to be able to vent about my life these days from the comfortable distance of the internet.
So are you in "the office" any days in the next week? I'm going to visit my parents soon (finally!! it's been over a year) and I'm planning to bring my mom a bottle of the Alcyonne as a birthday present. Because I think everyone should drink that wine. :)
Hi Christy,
I recently heard about your blog and love it. Congrats on being pregnant with baby #2 -- I'm in the same boat, due June 11th(ish). Re: your VBAC, I am SO sorry they are giving you such a hard time. I have had two friends have VBACs in the past year -- one with a midwife, one with an OB and they were both NO BIG DEALS. I don't remember either of them being given a hard time about them at all. What's up with that weirdo doc? I wish I had a recommendation for a great progressive practice in the D.C. area but I don't. Seriously, they need to get over it. One of my friends who had a VBAC is no skinny minny either -- so they can just relax. Sigh. Our medical system can make birth way more emotionally painful than it needs to be.
Anyway, you've got my full support on the VBAC. Oh, and how the hell did you lose 12 lbs? I've gained about 13 so far. fun stuff.
Good luck with everything!
Love,
Erin
erin,
thanks for the long distance vbac support, sistah!
the weight loss is a combination of nausea and the no sugar, no white flour, no refined stuff diet. unfortunately i think i've hit a plateau and am headed the other direction.
(i'm singing this)when will i see you again?
-c
You need to take that bow-tie and shove it up that Dr's ass and then suggest he have a C-section to get it out! I'm so sorry you're not getting more support on this from your docs. I guess I've had my head in the natural childbirth world too long and feel like it's archaic that these idiots still defend their stupid opinions all in the name of saving their asses "just in case". I commend you for not letting them get in the way of what you really want, and I support you fully. If your body wasn't fine with this, you would probably know it and wouldn't be pursuing this road. I hope you get back with the midwife stat and are assured that all will be fine. I feel so lucky here in Austin. While there are some really screwed up politics in Texas about midwifery (like it's illegal to see an OBGYN if you have a midwife), there are an abundance of good midwives. But there are only a couple of good supportive OB's... When is our country going to get on the train (as a whole)?! Good luck and keep truckin'!
Post a Comment