-prenatal vitamin, for obvious reasons.
-iron supplements, because i am anemic. why when i think of anemic do i think of skinny, malnourished little girls who over-exercise and eat lettuce sandwiches? and given that i am not skinny, malnourished or little, and if i have a sandwich with lettuce on it it’s only because it has also been topped with bacon, tomato, and butter and lightly toasted. so naturally this was a surprise.
colace-because one of the really enjoyable side affects of iron supplements is constipation. when does it end?
tylenol-the safe pain reliever.
tums-because just like when i was pregnant with baby, the heartburn is a constant, but particularly bad at 3:00. every day.
next, things i have to have ready come labor time that still are not ready:
labor mix-because for some reason i’m thinking that i’m gonna want a soundtrack to go along with the near-death pain experience of natural childbirth
birth plan- because it is de rigueur to specify your choice of pain “management” and lighting , and opinion on vaccuum extraction, use of forceps, and artificial rupture of membranes
of course along with that comes a couple of things you will not ever catch me doing:
-taking pictures of my bump/hump/whatever trendy name it has these days-because honestly i write about what i want to remember and i prefer not to look back on days when i could have gotten first place in a goodyear blimp look-alike contest

- wearing “maternity” clothing from american apparel- no amount of stretchy cotton fabric is going to make me look like anything less than a human pig in a blanket. this is seriously cruel and really, there’s nothing else to say.

and in the category of unfortunate side affects of late pregnancy the nominees are:
-outward bound belly button
-skin that has found new limits to stretch to, creating the marks to go with it
-rolling over that requires the top and bottom of my body to turn first, while the middle makes its way around when it feels like it
-sitting up and having my stomach look like a greenbay packers cheesehead

-severe leg cramps between 5 and 7 am every morning
-nazi midwives who tell me to drink one gallon of water a day
and i am seriously afraid to find out how big this baby currently is. the poor thing no longer makes moves like johnny in karate kid. instead they are more like the moves you would make if you were a sitting on a plane with yao ming in front of you and manute bol behind you.


to those of you who have been pregnant, maybe some of this strikes a chord (and p.s., if none of it does, please just don’t tell me. or i may have to reconsider our friendship.)
enjoyable? not really.
tolerable? maybe.
worth it? absolutely.
and only 7 1/2 more weeks to go.
7 comments:
my belly button is already completely popped out and I'm only 15 weeks.
yikes! mine never even popped out the first time!
it was immediate in my last pregnancy as well...like it started popping before I even had a belly. Weird.
I feel for you - I love the description of the difficulty in rolling over. I also have some ideas for the labor mix - I'll send those to you today.
thank you! you have such great taste in music!
Heartburn at 3 everyday? At least it's predictable I guess...! I think I'm 33 weeks at this point (right...?), and my heartburn comes to visit for days at a time and then finds another pregnant woman to bother. My inner thighs look like a case of constant hives from the heat rash that occurs from them rubbing together 24hrs/day. Leg cramps I haven't had, but I've been told that calcium works wonders for that (I take liquid cal at night). Oh, but I do have a muscle in my ass that has decided to cause insane pain and makes me limp. I can't wait to see how squatting for birth in my living room works out with deep butt muscle pain. That American Apparel pic is just wrong. But that's pretty much how my nightgown is fitting these days. I envy your ability to put a music mix together. I pretty much hate everything I hear lately as if it were written specifically to get on my nerves. I may have to hire a cellist for labor (one with lots of endurance and a high tolerance for being interrupted with screaming). Actually, the only music I want is from a birth video that I'd have to buy for $30+ to see what songs they are. Have you seen the Birth of Sabine? OMG. Oh and how funny - I just saw that the word verification below that I have to re-type in order to post this comment is sabin. Weird.
Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm up at 1:30AM because of heartburn. Gotta love it!
Post a Comment