Monday, June 15, 2009

invasion of the gigantic baby

after a busy week at work and home i’m thankful to have a relaxing day at home with my whole family. with the kids out of school and the restaurant closed today, we’ve had some serious down time, something we’ve all needed. and i had my last sonogram.

the head measured the size of a baby that is 38 weeks 5 days.
the stomach measured the size of a baby that is 40 weeks three days.
and the current estimated weight of the baby is eight pounds seven ounces.

i’m thirty-six and a half weeks people! what does this say about the future? or my crotch?!

the skinny, high energy, italian doctor says that unless i go into labor within the next week or week and a half, i ain’t gonna labor. so his advice?

-go ahead and call the acupuncturist. today.

tomorrow i will “weigh in” with the midwives who’ve got me going on the homeopathic end with evening primrose oil and raspberry leaf tea, both four times a day. and as i said on my facebook page i’m also doing just about anything else that’s suggested:

walking.
eating pineapple and mango.
eating spicy foods-chiles are in season!
dancing in the sheets.
stairs.
walking.

i’m thinking of heading to a local farm for a hay ride, think that would help?

so the only thing left is the acupuncture and sweeping the membranes. since my doula tells me that sweeping the membranes (again, thinking of karate kid and i can’t help it) is very uncomfortable, i’m hoping that’s the last option.

i spent forty five minutes on the phone with dr. lee while he instructed me on everything from how to eat to how to drink, bicycle legs exercises from a chair, breathing techniques, napping and walking. he says it works for everyone who really does what he says. so don’t think i won’t be swishing my water before i swallow it from now on. and then he reassured me:

-so if you do what i say before coming in on monday, then in 48-72 hours after you have party.

i have party? ok then, countdown to the celebration...

4 comments:

jmac said...

Party? Did someone say party? Well, since I'm the queen hostess adn I'm hosting one in your honor just about 72 hours after the accupuncture, I think the baby will come out to play on the 25th of June. Good luck, my friend! And remember, just so long as you have a beautiful package, who the hell cares how it is delivered!!!

Erin Sugrue said...

Hey Christy -- If it makes you feel any better, I know two women who delivered 11 + lb babies vaginally (one with an epidural and one as a home birth with hypnobirthing). We really don't know what our pelvis is capable of doing until we're in labor. Kathlyn was sunnyside up which means she should've gotten stuck and needed forceps or a c-section or at the very least taken me 4+ hours to push her out -- but she came out in less than an hour and apparently I've got a great pelvis for giving birth. Who knew? I'm sorry your baby is looking like a giant, but maybe they are off in their measurements? Or maybe you were made to have big babies -- and your body is ready for it? Regardless, I'll be thinking about you and rooting for you!

Christy P said...

erin,
that really means a lot coming from someone who knows! the fact that you would would show such love given that you just gave birth is amazing and so generous. your words of encouragement mean so much to me.

c

Novice Nester said...

That IS a big baby already! But I, too, have to comment that my sister vaginally (at home) delivered her second baby weighing in at almost 10lbs, and my midwife recently caught an 11-pounder VBAC that happened so fast that she didn't even think she was giving birth that day - she had just come in "to see" if her symptoms were possibly labor...ended up giving birth right there at the midwife's house!

I have no idea what my baby's measurements are, but I think I had my last milkshake yesterday...

Acupuncture worked wonders with my sister and best friend. And of course, don't forget the nipple stimulation while "dancing in the sheets", and massaging your pinky toe will get you there, too (good excuse for a pedicure with a strange request).

And I just have to share with you that the word verification to publish this comment is "mencrac" - awesome.